Jîyan is the Kurdish word for "life". The Jiyan Foundation supports survivors of human rights violations, promotes democratic values and defends fundamental freedoms in Kurdistan-Iraq.
The Jiyan Foundation strives for a society where the dignity of the human person is protected, where adults and children enjoy the right to life and liberty, and where citizens are free from torture and terror.
The core values guiding our work are expressed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. We help survivors of human rights abuses regardless of their age, gender, ethnicity or spiritual beliefs.
The goal of the Jiyan Foundation is to empower individuals to enjoy all of their civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights. To this end, we seek to
- assist survivors of violence, torture and terrorism
- support victims of genocide and ethnic persecution
- protect refugees and minorities
- promote the rights of women
- defend the rights of children
- foster civil society and democracy
- prevent violence and extremism
- promote friendly relations between nations.
These tasks are carried out through a variety of programs and activities.